Week 1 - My Korean Travel Journal

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Week 1




This is the last picture I took while on US soil. It's a keeper :)

    I first have to brag about the Asian based airlines I flew with. I didn't take any pictures of my airlines, but I should have. I flew Asiana airlines, and it was ten times better than any US based company that I have flown with. The seats were large and comfortable with plenty of leg room and I was still in economy. In the seat in front of you was your personal touch screen where you could choose your own movies, tv shows, games, and  flight info. You could also turn it off!!! It even had a detachable remote (including game controls on the back) in the arm rest if you were to lazy to lift your arm to touch the screen. They also provided your own wrapped slippers, blanket, pillow, and headphones. The stewardesses first handed out steamed towels so you can wipe down your face and hands. They also offered orange juice and water through the entire flight. They gave us two meals at no extra cost which had a selection between actual steak or salmon. There were also handing out wine if you wanted for no extra cost. Anyway, overall, it made me feel like they actually valued their customers instead of the usual event of trying to prevent the airline from reaping every last cent you own.

Hotel On / First Night 

This is the hotel that they are having me stay at. It is actually pretty nice. My co-workers/ friends said that they stayed at 'love motels' when they first arrived, and so, I'm even more grateful that they put me in one that is not so 'love motel' although I have ran into that aspect while in the elevator ... ackward, lol. 



 Bathroom Shoes








House Shoes 













This was my first meal and tv show in Korea ... :)



 American Toppings ... Parmesan 
                    Korean Toppings ... Pickles ... Hmmm, I wonder who was responsible for translating Parmesan.

Langcon School



All the classrooms have this setup

That paragraph means "Don't speak Korean"? Yikes! 



This is the teachers office and a few of my new friends. This transition would have been ten times harder without the foreign teachers here!! They are a real blessing! 

One of the books I will be teaching out of. 

Outside my hotel, the neighborhood is built right next to this major eight-lane highway. The city planners took advantage of the highway by making it a public meeting area underneath. So instead of bums hanging out everywhere, there are places to sit and talk and art displays underneath the highway and restaurants/ cafe's right next to it. They also have walking bridges going everywhere so you never have to risk your life crossing the street. Wow! Government actually working for the people... who would have thought?!




Gotta love this one... LOL



Side Walks

This is the side walk going out of Anyang. The side walk is almost as big as the road and it is on both sides. The side walks are also rubberized so in winter you don't have to worry so much about ice. I was very impressed!!!! Awesome for running! 




That's exactly how I feel when I find a bathroom! LOL

This is part of the local School of Art and Design. They have  awesome art and sculpture displays all over the place. This is almost outside of the city. 



Hiking up the mountain

Now that's what I call a trail head! 




LOTR?

Harry, what does that sign say? ...
I don't know? ... Korean translation, "Caution, man eating anaconda's ahead!" ... LOL

Asian Nuthatch?

Stairs then tunnel, got it! 

This actually made the hike a lot easier.






The very top 382 meters. 

Cairns and Prayers 

 Pine Trees! 






Hiking Video 










This isn't a good video of it, but I was on top of the mountain and I suddenly started to here like Beethoven music playing. I'm thinking, 'I think I have heat exhaustion' ... Nope, it was this speaker making some sort of announcement accompanied with classical music out in the middle of nowhere, lol.  












No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here