Week 2: Cheonggyecheon River -- Downtown Seoul - My Korean Travel Journal

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week 2: Cheonggyecheon River -- Downtown Seoul

"Anyang-ah-say-oh" (Hello), 

To begin this weeks entry, I have to tell a funny story about this picture. This is actually a really good meal and really cheap that I have been getting at Lotte Mart. But that's not what this story is about... 


It was last Sunday, and I was wondering around Lotte Mart looking for something to eat. However, I didn't have very much cash at the time so I was bargin shopping as usual. The bargin/ hungry shopper look must be international because one of the store ladies saw me and it wasn't just to stare at my red hair (lol). She signaled me to follower her and she picked up one of these yellow boxes. She showed me on the back how that all I had to do was pop it in the microwave. She also showed me that it was really cheap to buy. She was so nice and I felt like this was a special blessing given my situation. This meal tasted all the better because of it! :)  
However, this is not the end of this story. Monday, I went back to load up on my new found treasure! In the check-out line, a there was a group of guys glancing over at me with my stack of yellow boxes. I thought they must have been laughing at me, but one of them stepped over and in broken English asked if I liked them. I told them they were great, and then he told me that he works for the company that makes them. He showed me his business card, and it seemed like he was a manager or ranked somewhere in the corporate side of it. We talked back and forth as much as we could and I could tell that he really liked the fact that a westerner was buying his product, lol. He also told me that he licked my beard and that it was basically a chick magnet, LOLOLOLOLOL. I knew it would pay off someday, lol. The best part was on our way out the door. I saw this guy again with a whole group of friends as I was walking back to my hotel. He came over to me again and pulled me aside. He then said, "Which one?" as he pointed to group of girls with his friends. I laughed out loud at him. He laughed too but the expression on his face made me think later that he was half serious, lol. Anyway, it was a really funny and interesting (to say the least) conversation. 

So here are some pictures of Uiwang, Anyang, Pyeongchon, and Indeogwon. Indeogwon (In-dah-gwan) is where I will be moving to this coming week. (Yes! finally!)







My hotel... awesome color selection. 

This is four-five? stories tall. I stay on the bottom part which is all food. At least two stories are parking and another story is house-goods and clothes. 

This is Beomgye. It really is really this bright at night!! It is a hangout for Anyang. Really fun! 


The pictures below are from the area I work. It is called Hagwon-gah because there are ton of hagwons here. Apparently, the Korea people send their kids to after-school programs for all subjects and interests. In my building alone, there is a math, art, and something else hagwon including the English hagwon that I work at. Just, classes, classes, classes, everywhere. 


7-11, the banner by which the world is united... lol 

Instead of trashing empty city spaces, the Korean people turn it into gardens... nice



This is also gneiss 


Prof Asse would be proud 


Gotta remember this for future planters...


FOOD


Very good from my new favorite bakery below...


The green stuff is kelp... It actually tastes ok...


Well, at least you know it's fresh calamari ... lol



Cheonggyecheon River

This river was paved over in the 80's to help develop downtown Seoul. It river was forced underground and a double-decked, eight-lane highway was put in it's place. The city of Seoul recently restored the river and has implemented a man-made restoration of the natural environment. It's pretty awesome place, and I will definitely return. Even though it's in the middle of the city, it is an escape all to it's own. It's a lot like Central Park except there is no crime and they keep it really clean. :) You can follow this link to read more about it. 













Looking at ancient stone work then seeing a modern city really stretches the mind.







A little bit after I took this picture, a crazy old lady grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side of the path. She was nice about it and said, "Hello". She then started telling me all sorts of things in Korean. I then figured out that she wanted me to repeat what she was saying. I just went with it but I'm dying to know what I said, lol... mmm, on second thought, I'll be happy with not knowing and just remember the experience, lol. 


Go Ducks! 






Tour guide: And on this side we have the residence of the gods and ultra rich and on the opposite side is the peasantry so that they can always live in the shadow of their masters. 




This is for my friend Rex, lol





This is how the river looked at the turn of the century. 







There were all sorts of carp in the river. These were about 2 feet long.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here