I got a bike!!! - My Korean Travel Journal

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Sunday, September 25, 2011

I got a bike!!!

Well, like last week, I don't have much to say but I am so stoked about my new bike! I picked it up this morning (Sunday). Its got a couple of issues but I do not care!! It was love at first sight, haha. I bought it for about $80 from a guy who is in the US military stationed at Camp Casey. It was a long two hour (one way) subway ride. After a little TLC it works great. It does need a new tube for the back tire, but I'm going to wait a little bit. The leak is very minimal. Anyway, I took it for a ride and it felt so good to be bike'n again. The worst problem I had was trying to keep all the bugs out of my mouth and eyes while I was on a path along the river. Speaking of river, my soon to be adventure is a bike ride along the Han river.





So if you want to read some boring philosophical and internal debates I have had, please be my guess. If not, I would just stick to the pictures, lol. 

Another interesting conversation happened while on the subway. This time it was with a man from Cambodia. He was with a group of friends. He told me that he too was working in Cambodia. It was an interesting view of Korea. He is working in Korea because it has money and jobs to offer. He was surprised how everything was so expensive compared to Cambodia. It was a reality check for myself. Like him, I'm working in Korea because it has jobs and money to offer, but to me, the cost of living is relatively low if you want it to be. The reality was how wealthy I am as an US citizen. The exchange rate is about $1 for 1,000 won (which is actually not true for this week because the Asian markets took a big hit). Anyway, for this man from Cambodia, 1,000 won is about 3,500 Cambodian Riel. Like England in the 1700's - 1800's, just because I am a US citizen I have an 'almost' inherited wealth. For example, back in the Eug, I was able to buy a gallon of milk for like $2-3 for whole milk. In Korea, a quart of milk is $3. I cannot bring myself to buy ground beaf yet being around $5-6/ 100 grams (100 grams is approx. 1/4 pound). So on... I guess the significance of this conversation connected to a conversation I overhead on the bus ride to Sokcho. I overhead some ethnically non-Koreans talking about 'Americans' in English. The conversation has bothered me ever since I had listened to it. , Since I was the only 'wonder bread' on the bus and I thought they must have been talking about me, I decided to listen in. While I acted to ignore their condescending comments, the one line that I have been 'chewing' on since was "Americans have everything handed to them". In my mind, I was replying like the wimp I am, lol. I usually do not reply to aggression as I do not see the point when someone is not going to listen anyway. Anyway, lol, my 'reply' was I have not been handed life to me on a silver platter. I have had to work extremely hard and go through a lot of crap to get to the place where I am. Now because I do fear lighting from heaven, lol, I will say that it is a miracle that I am here, but still... just say'n, lol. However, since that 'conversation', I have not been able to see the light or truth of this seeming condescending comment. Well, today, I saw a glimpse. Back to the man on the subway, this man was so nice... a good person. All he wants in life is a better life and he is willing to sacrifice what is necessary and work towards that goal. The difference between this man and I? We are both humans. We eat, sleep and bleed like all humans do. The difference is that I am from the US. I am here because it's 'cool' and the adventure can appease my innately American large apatite and desire  to be entertained with adventure while not having to sacrifice any of the comforts that I am used to back home. Now, obviously, there are more reasons I am here but I won't deny that this was one of my main concerns when coming to Korea. Can I live like an American while in Korea? Yes ... Gauging the age of this man, I assumed that he had been born during the terror of Pol Pot's rule, and if not, he has regardless grown up in the wake of his devastation. I assume that there was left destruction in Cambodia's economy, society and government ever since. I mentioned that my good friend Alex had worked at a Children's summer camp for a month in Cambodia. He said, "Oh yes, there is a lot of organizations in Cambodia." With a look that  seemed to touch a deep source of turmoil and pain, he said, "Yes, Cambodia has a lot of places for organizations." I assumed this meant that you didn't have to look far to see pain. Now, this man is in Korea looking for a better life free of his pain and hurt. 

So hurry up, what's your point, lol. Yes, I am an American and life has been handed to me on a silver platter. I simply assume that __________ was standard no matter what because it just has always been there no matter what. I simply thought that life was about making me happy. You mean there are humans that don't have ___________ and are simply living in hopes for a life free of their pain which is the only thing that has always been there. My pain was always in my head ... you mean pain means physical hurt and loss of family friends and belongings. The little you have is simply taken. You are talking about humans like me, right?

So if you are still reading, lol, my question is now, why was I so lucky? I'm always complaining and a pessimist about life if anything is just not so so. I don't even have a clue about the standard of the world. I don't deserve what I have or who I am. This man should be the "American". He paid his dues. He is Lazarus and I've been the rich man feeding him the crumbs my dog doesn't eat. I don't get it, I really don't. I'm not 'preaching' if you think I am. This is really the weight this conversation has had with me. As I went home with my bike, I was thinking, "I'm happy I have another bike. He is happy he has a job and an opportunity to make life better." I just don't get it still. Like I said, I just saw a glimpse and I'm spinning. For now, my answer is I am grateful to be an American. It is a true blessing that is greater than the majority of the world has. In this light, I feel even more responsible to use what has been given to me as an American and use it for good in the world around me. Like positive and negative atoms, I should give those excessive 'electrons' I have to those who are in need (I am not intellectually derailed to mean just money). But still, I don't know. I still don't think I got it. So till then, sorry Lazarus this rich man sucks at gett'n it, lol. 

Anyway, sorry to be kinda serious this week, but I did say I wanted to share this journey. A journey is complete only if it has mountains with valleys. :) Till next week, cheerios... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here