Seoul with James and Nayeon - My Korean Travel Journal

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Seoul with James and Nayeon

This picture is of the first snow we had a couple weeks ago. It didn't snow again until 12/23 when it snowed enough to cover the ground. The temperature has been staying below freezing even for the high. It is really cold, but at least I don't have to worry about anything spoiling when I take groceries home, lol.




I am still able to ride my bike without freezing. While I do wear several layers, I am actually very comfortable temperature-wise on my bike because the cold air moderates my body heat. The only thing that really gets cold is my nose, lol. Does this mean I'm a dog? lol ... 'I don't know', as my students would say. lol
Here are some more pics of Seoul and Myeongdong. I have been frequently returning to Myeongdong due to the great Christmas shopping I have been able to find there :) It is also very festive with all the Christmas trees and lights.

James told me later in the same day that this is a really popular site for New Years celebrations. Inside there is an enormous bell. The Buddhist monks ring the bell at midnight on New Years Eve. It might have been dawn now that I think of it. I can't remember. Dawn on New Years seems to be a more popular even than midnight. Many people book months in advance to make trips to special locations along the coast and surrounding islands to be able to have the best view of the rising sun on New Years Day. I really haven't thought about it too much, but I'm kinda shying away from any early morning events. All I can think about is how cold it will be if I attempted to attend such an event, lol. Well, I guess that is why I have a good winter coat, lol.

This is close to the city hall and the center of Seoul. I like the architecture of this building as it appears to be a cascading waterfall of light.

If I'm ever filthy rich, I want my driveway gate to look exactly like this! It is so beautiful. The picture is a little bit blurry because my camera doesn't do as well at night. In Korea, red is the symbol of negative energy, and blue is the symbol of positive energy. And so, the symbol in the middle represents the balance of life. These are primarily Buddhist beliefs and teachings. However, I feel that these ideas speak more than just what is associated with one religion. My feeling is founded on the fact that this same symbol is on the Korean flag. I believe it is a great message of who and what Korea is. Korea has endured centuries of war and hardships. Even up to recent history, Korean's have traveled a narrow and rocky path. Due to this, I feel that there has been a collective enlightenment to the role of pain in life. Koreans are not afraid of pain. They have had to learn to live with pain or what is negative in life. They almost embrace it when it comes and utilize any negative events to propel them to reach for what is positive. They also use what is positive to motivate them to work harder at what is negative. In the end, they have found a balance for what is negative in life. How can I speak for a whole nation? Well, I really can't, and I really don't know. However, I work with them and live with them, and in my elementary and superficial analysis of Korea's complex and sophisticated society, I have found that this remains a predominate theme wherever I go. This thought is especially contrasted by my American mentality. I think that many times I get into a feverish panic to ensure that nothing is wrong or out of place. If anything is wrong, it seems like the end of the world, and if I can't fix it then I try to sweep it into the closet or under the rug. In the instance when there is something 'wrong', is it really the end of the world? No, and in comparison with the situations Korea has dealt with and deals with, there is nothing wrong at all. So what is the moral of the story? Embrace whatever comes my way. If it is bad, don't run, but use it to motivate me to work towards what is positive. If there is something positive, I shouldn't simply sit on it, but allow it to motivate me towards facing what is negative. Life always seems to point towards balance...
The following pictures are all in around Gwanghwamun Square which is in the center of Seoul. For the immediate picture below, say 'hello' to Admiral Yi Sun-sin. He is one the most famous Korean generals/admirals and figures as he was able to fend off Japanese invasions during his life. For more information on the Admiral, please follow this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

This is a replica of his famous turtle ship.


This is the most famous man in Korea: King Sejong the Great. He is the man that commissioned the creation of the Korean language and writing system Hangul. He is a hero in my book just for the fact that he was leader that used his power for good and not evil. Through Hangul, he unified and did not divide a nation. He used his power to empower his people and not keep them mindlessly controlled by him. He didn't leave behind statues, monuments, and  unrealistic burial sites of himself, but rather, he left a gift to his people that has never and will never be taken away from them. It is part of their identity and part of who they are. This gift has been one of the key elements that keeps the desire alive to reunite the Koreas. It connects them together, and this connection can never be broken by the efforts of evil men or the passing of time. King Sejong did not make his people put all their hopes in him because he knew he was only a human in the end. Rather, he envisioned Korea's people and future, and he did not envision himself. Men of power like these are uncommon, but for the few that have existed, time honors them and does not allow their names to be washed away in the pages of history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sejong_the_Great

This is James and Nayeon, and they have become my really good friends here in Korea. They are both so kind and fun to hang out with!! They are also make a really great couple ;) On this night, we decided to check out the Occupy Seoul event. As you can see in the background, there were police everywhere. Because of all the police, we thought that the event would be something massive with thousands of protesters. We were surprised however, to find that the actual group of protesters would have made an approximate ratio of 50 police for every protester. It was definitely more for show on the police side of things :)

This is the beginning of the Cheonggyecheon river and the area where the protesters gathered. The Occupy Seoul protest had nothing to do with a complaint against the wealthy class of Korea, but rather, it was protest against the Free Trade Agreement with the United States. In my elementary understanding of the issue and to make it brief, the agreement is primarily focused on cars and beef which the US would export to Korea. Both of these products would bring considerable competition to domestic producers due to the greater access to resources in the United States. Korean car companies have been able to make very good profits in their domestic productions. There also has been no competition from foreign companies due to the high tariff placed on such imported products. It would also be hard for domestic producers to lower their costs as it is more expensive (I'm assuming) to produce a final product in Korea. While the car may be shipped from America, an American car company would be able to utilize many of the outsourced products used to make the car itself. Thus, with little tariffs, US car companies could be given a great advantage in this instance. In regards to meat imports, the same issues are magnified due to the fraction of agricultural lands in Korea compared to the agricultural lands in the United States. Imported meat would have a tremendous advantage over domestic meat producers. Meat  is so expensive here in Korea, and so, I believe the Korean consumer would veraciously take advantage of a low priced option. This could lead to an economic downfall for the agricultural class of Korea who already live with sub-standard incomes. In regards to just these two products, the agreement will definitely lead to economic gains for the lagging US auto industry and bolster US agriculture, but with my elementary analysis and understanding, I would have to definitely agree with the majority of Koreans who feel the agreement would hurt the Korean economy. While supporters of the agreement argue that the agreement would create new jobs, the new jobs created in Korea would not be in the areas that jobs would be lost nor would be to the same number of jobs lost in the Korean economy. Without any founded proof, I am also leery of the intentions of financial corporations long term goals through this opening of a otherwise closed market. Korea is growing and very strong in its economy, but I feel that this has been so because it is very closed door to larger, foreign companies trying to take from their national GDP or national profit. I am not un-American in siding with opponents of the FTA, but rather, I feel that it is long over due that US economists and corporations take responsibility in their foreign agreements and practices. Our great economy has been built in many instances at the great loss to those already in a disadvantaged state. I feel an agreement is only fair if both sides equally benefit from the agreement. I feel that this agreement is not fair. However like I said, I am not an expert on this issue, but I do know economic practices of the United States in the past. I truly do not want our economic benefit to come once again by walking on the backs of the disadvantaged in the world or those with not enough strength to push back when we push them down. Despite some very violent, vivid, and extreme demonstrations against the FTA, the National Assembly recently approved the agreement, and I believe there will be immediate effects taken place. I will hope that this is truly for the mutual and equal benefit of both countries, but I am pessimistic in my outlook. For more information and elementary investigation into the agreement please read the following wiki article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea%E2%80%93United_States_Free_Trade_Agreement









This also was a very special night with James and Nayeon due to the lunar eclipse! :>

While the actual mural/poster revealed nothing embarrassing, I thought this was still a very discreet and funny decision of the museum.
In funny way, it reads and looks like they hired a redneck for the translation, lol.
I thought this was a really special moment with Venus and the moon. It was almost a 'cosmic' set-up, lol.
All the Korea teachers at work think that I look like Van Gogh, lol. I wish I could paint like him, but I'm not so sure about the whole cutting my ear off as a gift. :S


I can't find my camera!?! Where did it go?!?! ... LOL



And finally, this has something to do with someone's Christmas gift, lol. Can you guess what it is? Hint: pigs and eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here