Evita to Sachoom - My Korean Travel Journal

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Evita to Sachoom

In December, I was able go see the musical "Evita" with my friends Eun Heay, Clair and Jeff. While the performance was in Korean, it was still a really excellent performance. I had done some research on Eva Peron while in college, and so, I was able to relate the scenes with what I knew about her life story. The actors and actresses were all very talented singers and performers. Even though I really didn't know what they were saying, the energy and passion they put into their performance helped me to connect to the emotion and ideas behind what they were saying. It was really interesting to experience a performance like this without knowing the language. 

Below are pictures outside and inside the venue area. The area is Yeoksam which is in Seoul.







This amazing morsel of pure delight was a brownie cupcake filled with melted chocolate, pure chocolate-fudge creme, and encrusted with chocolate chips throughout. My taste buds were enraptured into a state of  pure ecstasy and elation. This food is as dangerous as a hallucinogenic narcotic because my entire body was demanding to again part take of such elated out-of-body experience. Oh yes, ask my friends who were with me and they will say they didn't notice such a dramatic response given by me. Ha ha ha, little did they know my entire mental concentration and focus was left to restrain my primal desires to scare away those around me threatening to take my prize kill of the day, and little did they know that as they asked, "may I try", it was with grinding teeth, clenched fists, and tensioned muscles ready to protect my keep that I allowed them to even look up such a priceless indulgence such as this. I just hope they know they are truly my friend for my allowing them to ... 'taste this'. ...;)...  I found that as I left this coffee shop in cold sweats and trembling fingers, it took all physical and mental strength to resist the primal demands within me pleading for just one more morsel of taste. ... I will return to you Mr. brownie-fudge cupcake of my delight... I will return! .... :)
Myeongdong...again... :) I think I am just fascinated with this many people. Coming from a rural community, a crowd of this size would only exist at some apocalyptic event where this street was the only way to safety. However, there is no apocalypse here, just enough shopping until the next millennium, haha.
I was caught off guard by this alley way below in Myeongdong. It is like the ultimate 'fusion' alley in Korea. It is a perfect blend of ancient, traditional, industrial, modern, and cross-cultural textures and designs. I also thought that it was ironic that this alley was almost entirely empty while there must have been a hundred people per minuet passing just outside the alley way.

Yeah, Poland! This is for my friend Eun Heay who loves to visit Poland!
This next set of pictures is from my New Years adventure. I started here at City Hall Plaza in Seoul. Like I mentioned in previous blogs, the main event in Seoul is at Jonggak with the ringing of the bell at midnight. While this did interest me, I wanted to experience a true Korean New Years and lucky for me, Warren had created a special New Years hiking trip to see the sunrise on the East Coast. In Korea, it is a big event to welcome the New Year by watching the Sunrise in the East Sea. I find this interesting to me as most people never think of this back home, especially being from the west coast of the States. However, I think that because the weather pattern in Korea is generally Sunny, still freezing cold, during winter. Thus, people in Korea have always been able to see the sunrise in winter. Anyway, a second important thing about watching the sunrise in Korea is that you can't watch the sunrise just from anywhere on the east coast, but you have to go to this specific beach called Jeongdongjin Beach. This beach is the one of the closest to Seoul on the Eastern side of Korea, and so it is a very popular tourist place. However, I think if Seoul were to magically move somewhere else in Korea, people in Korea would still travel to this destination just out of habit. Where do you go for New Years in Korea? Oh that's easy, start at the ringing of the bell in Seoul and then travel to Jeongdongjin Beach to watch the sunrise :) The reason I say this is because it was almost a traffic jam the entire trip back to Seoul. It was incredible how many people, as you will see, went to this beach. It was a lot of fun, and I really happy that I went.




The ultimate christmas light tree.

 


This is tofu soup/ porridge. It was our breakfast and it was really good!



From left to right:
Warren, Seung Eun, and Jung-hwa Shin. They were such great friends to watch the sunrise with!


Heart lantern taking well-wishes for the new world to the 'sky world' as my students call it.




The sun of the fabled year 2012!






Yes, that is a cruise ship shape on the cliff and no it wasn't put there by a tsunami. It is a hotel built on the cliff in the shape of a cruise ship.

I love nature...












This was snow hiking at the sheep ranch. We really didn't go far, but it was still a lot of fun!














This is where I go to study Korean with my friends/ teachers

Hmm... I think they are saying smoking is bad for you, but I'm not sure.
So this was a cultural exchange coffee shop in Jonggak. First, I was so happy to see that they sold Arizona tea. Second, their food/ drinks were great and not a bad price. Third, they give you a complimentary ipad to have fun with while you are at the coffee shop. I wish all coffee shops were like this! Thanks Eun Heay for taking me! :)
The most amazing Mexican food I have had for a long time! If you are in Korea, you must go to Dos Tacos in Jonggak. It is reasonably priced especially for Korean Mexican restaurants. Even better, the food is authentic. It is so amazing and good! The atmosphere is also perfect!




Mmmm... Nachos!
So my good friend Eun Heay also took me to Sachoom! It is a dance performance in Seoul, and it was absolutely incredible. From start to finish, it was packed with energy, laughs and excitement. The performance only uses interpretative dance to tell the story of a boy's attempts to attract the girl he loves. It was so much fun! Again, if you are in Korea, you absolutely must see this performance. I think there is a sale on tickets right now also.




I am so thankful to be here in Korea, and there are so many blessings and amazing experiences that I have had just in my short less than six months. The greatest blessing here in Korea is the many amazing and priceless friendships I have come to know. My experiences are amazing because I have been able to share them with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here